Sunday, September 3, 2017

Host Family!

3 September 2017
16:24 BRT (EST + 1 hour)

The next day, Thursday, I got to go to a formal Rotary dinner with all the exchange students and Rotarians from the club that was hosting us at the time. Then, on Friday, I got to come home for lunch and I made my family mac n' cheese! Before leaving to go home, I had told Maggie this (She is from Canada.) and she said that if I brought her back even a noodle or two that she would start crying of happiness. I made two boxes of mac n' cheese as well as my family had made other food and so there was a good amount left over (Good amount for a one person meal.). And so my host mom found a disposable container and I brought it to Maggie. Upon handing it to her, she actually did start crying, I didn't realize that she had been serious. She was missing Canadian food so much.
While getting ready to go back to school, we packed all of my suitcases into the trunk and headed back. At the end of the day, Cris' (The previous inbound coordinator.) father picked both Maggie and I up and drove us back to Panambi (3 hour drive.). We both thought that we were going to stay the night there however about half and hour after we arrived, Odete, my host mom, came to pick me up and not long after that, Maggie's family came to get her. Odete and I then drove about a half hour to her house in Santa Barbara Do Sul.
At this point it was 21:00 (9pm), Odete let me unpack all my bags and then around 22:30 (10:30pm) I had a shower and go to bed around midnight. I don't remember it perfectly, but I was tired.

The next morning I got up around 08:30 (8:30am) and made waffles with mãe (Mom) and she got to try the syrup I had given to her! Then around 10:00 (10am) we left to drive almost an hour to her parent's house. They own a farm (sorta)! I got to ride on their horse!
I will say it was a LOT different, they don't have a saddle like we do. Their saddle was just sheep's wool. (I'm not saying that it's the same across the Brazil, but just that the one they had was sheep's wool.) It was actually really comfortable. I wasn't trotting or doing anything fast so it was ok. However, at one point she started to probably canter and I didn't have anything to grip on and so started to fall off. Before falling though I managed to just pivot and dismount. It was actually really fun!






Today, I got to go to a rotary conference in Panambi that was the president and other rotarians passing their "mantle" onto the next person. (I don't know how to explain it well.) After that, I got to go back to Cris' house and we had lunch there. I got to meet a rebound who went to Mexico as well. He lives in Santa Barbara so when we left to come home he came with us. We got to make brigadeiro together and I got him to try Pringles, the sour cream and onion flavor!
Related imageImage result for brigadeiro
This is brigadeiro. You have to heat it up and stir it while making it and then after it has a good consistency you let it cool. After that, you can sometimes eat it with a spoon, roll it up into balls and then roll whatever topping you want onto it, or many other things. It could be sprinkles, coconut or anything else. Then you chill them so they keep their shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment