Thursday, September 7, 2017

Dois Bobas, E Um Louco No Carro

7 September 2017
22:00 BRT (EST + 1 hour)

Well, Monday I got to start school here! It's waaaay different than school in the U.S. Paulo, the rebound, showed me around and introduced me to all the teachers and staff as well as hung out with me throughout the school day.
Now to explain how different school here is. First off, since Santa Barbara Do Sul is so small, it would make sense that the school is small. It only has 15 classrooms! Also, the students aren't the ones that move between classes, it's the teachers that do. School starts at the same time everyday but can end at different times depending on the day.
On Monday you have three classes, 20 minutes for a snack, then two classes and then an hour and 20 minutes for lunch. Of which you can go home to eat, which is why it's such a long time. After that, you have two more classes, another 20 minute snack break, and then one more class. However, for my first day, Odete picked me up for lunch and said I didn't have to go back. On every other day of the week you have everything the same until after lunch, as there is no school after lunch. Also! The classes you take aren't the same everyday, as well as you could have multiple classes of the same subject in the same day!
After that, Odete took me to Cipex! Which is where Andrea, my counselor, and her friend Camilla work as teachers, kinda. They give English lessons to students as well as Cipex is just a kind of place for the exchange students in Santa Barbara Do Sul to come and hang out. Since it was my first day there, Andrea introduced me to Camilla and some of the students that were there at the time. Also, in one of the rooms, students have written stuff on the walls, and its nice, silly stuff. Like "#Canada" and stuff like that, and so I decided to add my own! I put "Caitlyn wuz here" with a big, partially accurate American flag behind it. The reasoning for it being partially accurate is because after a while of trying to figure out how to do 50 stars I gave up and just kind of lightly filled in the area with blue.

On Tuesday, Paulo met me at school again and after school ended Odete and I dropped him off near his house and headed home. We had lunch and sat around before heading to Cipex at 14:00 (2pm), bringing a box of mac n' cheese! And so, after hanging out there for a while, we gathered what I needed and I made mac n' cheese for everyone there to try! They surprisingly REALLY liked it.

Yesterday, Wednesday, I followed just about the same routine except instead of mac n' cheese, I made sure to pack the bottle of syrup for the club and the one for Andrea! I, with the awesome culinary help of Paulo, made PANCAKES!!!!! Once more, they surprisingly came out quite well, even though I had to eyeball some stuff due to the measuring systems being different as well as the fact that I tripled the recipe so that everyone could have a few. There were a lot of students there that day. Also, at one point while we were cooking the pancakes Andrea disappeared and reappeared later with a bottle of Guanana for me, as well as some other things, but I don't know what they were... too focused on Guanana... By the way, Guanana is a juice, I want to say, here that is AMAZING!! It's kind of like a type of pop but made like a type of juice, because its from a fruit here. The running joke is GUANANA and BRIGADERO, because those are my favorite food and drink at the moment. Along with pastels... those are REALLY good.

Finally, today! I actually had today off of school as it was the Independence Day of Brazil, as well as I have tomorrow off! And so I got to sleep in, have coffee and around 10:00 (10am) we headed on out to the avós (grandparent's) house! Both grandparents were working of different things on their farm and so we first went on a walk through a patch of woods far behind their house, because they have fields in between. On our way we bumped into Odete's mom, and once we reached the woods we ran into her dad. He walked around the woods with us and showed me where a tornado had torn up and bent some trees!
After that, we walked back and I made pancakes! As well as her mom made multiple different types of food, one was a rice and chicken dish that is really popular, but I don't remember what it is called. So, we had lunch with pancakes!... and GUANANA! After that, Odete and I painted our nails! And shortly after that I got to ride their horse again! We, me on horseback, as well as Odete and Christiano, walked down to a lake that is nearby, about as far away as the woods but in the opposite direction. Then we came back, sat around for a short while and then headed home! Also, we didn't use all the batter I made, which was only a double batch and so, for dinner we had pancakes, which Odete cooked, as well as a beef dish!
Tomorrow we are going to another city where there is a sort of stable, I believe, and we are going to look at all the different types of horses and a bunch of other stuff!

(P.S. The title is essentially "Two silly people and one crazy person in a car." The two silly people being female, because they were Odete and I, and the crazy person being male, and so it was Cristiano.) YEAH :D

No comments:

Post a Comment